Cardiff and the Vale
Charity No. 1139734
Summary of Aims & Objectives:
We are a recovery community where people recover from drug and alcohol problems. A community based on support, hope and opportunity which values individuals, the process of recovery and believes recovery is about improved quality of life
Recovery Cymru believes in developing and strengthening communities of people recovering from drug and alcohol problems. People are empowered to initiate and continue their recovery journey, to achieve fulfilment, to explore their skills and interests and to improve their quality of life. Through the power of shared experience and understanding, people can support themselves and others. Recovery Cymru is also part of a wider recovery movement in Wales and is a champion for the Recovery agenda in the UK.
- We view the recovery process as a journey
- We believe that everyone has the potential to recover
- Together we promote the many different pathways to recovery. We appreciate that each person takes a unique journey.
- We are here to learn from one another, to support one another and build new relationships
- We support the many different treatment methods and models that can assist individuals in their recovery journey, and we do not promote one method or philosophy over another
- We believe that, where appropriate, medications (e.g. methadone, subutex, naltrexone, antabuse) can aid and assist people on their recovery journey.
- We believe that recovery is real and should be celebrated
- We believe that recovery is about quality of life. It is about the person rather than the presence or absence of a substance
- We believe that recovery is self-defined; it develops over time.
- We accept that what is right for today, may change tomorrow
- We recognise that a common goal for many people is abstinence from their problem substance
- We recognise that abstinence from all mind-altering substances is a common goal for many people in recovery
- We accept that preventing and managing relapse is a reality of recovery for many people. However, we believe that relapse does not have to be inevitable
- We believe that it is easier to try to do something, than it is to try not to do something – so get involved!
- 1-1 Recovery Coaching sessions
- ‘Footsteps to Recovery’ - a community based programme of rehabilitation, designed as an alternative to residential rehab
- Telephone Recovery Support (TRS)
- Social groups, activities and meaningful ways to spend time
- Self-help and support groups
- Voluntary opportunities
- A drop-in, open access centre
- Support with relapse prevention and management
Recovery Cymru is open access, and formal referrals are not needed.
Referrals to the Footsteps to Recovery programme can be made by any professional or agency involved in a person’s care
Cardiff Recovery Centre, 218 Cowbridge Rd East, Canton, Cardiff, CF5 1GX
Tel: 02920 227 019
Vale Recovery Centre, 232 Holton Rd, Barry, CF63 4HS
Tel: 01446 734220
Fax: 029 20231500