Carer and service user involvement in older people’s mental health services
Nexus is set up to involve & engage those who use older people’s mental health services & their carers to have a say in the way that those services are run, planned & developed across Cardiff & the Vale.
Our objectives are:
- To support and facilitate opportunities for involvement
- To connect service users & carers productively with service providers, planners and commissioners
- To provide and share relevant information between service users, carers & service planners & providers
- To provide and promote appropriate training
- To sustain and build an effective organisation
Having a say
– events, conferences and workshops are organised to bring service users, carers, and professionals together to share views and experiences in a friendly and relaxed atmosphere.
– carers are trained to sit on interview panels alongside mental health professionals and choose who should be working within the Cardiff and Vale UHB, including mentoring and training students with Cardiff University’s Department of Clinical Psychology.
Carers Involvement Group
– a regular carers meeting is held where any carer or recent carer can attend to bring up issues or concerns.
Onwards & Upwards Group - Mental Health Service Users group for older people – working together with the Memory Team, University Hospital Llandough
Connecting service users with providers, planners and commissioners
– carers influence the way that services are developed by collecting the views of other carers and service users and sharing them at planning meetings with the Health Board, Social Services and the Voluntary Sector.
Veterans Support - Nexus has formed a Veterans Mental Health Support Group to look at the welfare of veterans who may have concerns specific to their Armed Forces service. This is not an exclusive service and any person of any age can seek support.
Nexus also supports the Forget Me Not Chorus
by offering its members mental health support.
– providing and promoting training for service users to learn new skills or refresh old ones. Our courses aim to give people the tools, techniques and confidence to influence the development and delivery of services.
Facebook: Nexus cavamh
If any data is incorrect, please contact us to report it.