The Cardiff and Vale Carers Gateway is part of The Care Collective, an organisation that focuses on the support and wellbeing of unpaid carers.
We are currently running a grant scheme called ‘Try Something New’ which offers unpaid carers an alternative to the traditional forms of respite and is available to unpaid carers in the Cardiff area only.
The purpose of the scheme is to give carers a sense of their identity and apply for something that would benefit their own health or wellbeing.
Examples of what grants can be used for:
- Short breaks or spa treatments
- Equipment or materials for hobbies (art supplies/musical instruments/fishing equipment etc.)
- Gym/virtual gym membership
- Exercise equipment
- National Trust/RSPB membership
- Annual family membership card to a local attraction
- Sport season ticket
- On-line adult education courses
- Subscriptions such as Netflix, Audible etc.
Carers will need to include evidence of the cost, such as a website link, an estimate or detailed description. Applicants must be 18 years old or over, both carer and the person they care for must be Cardiff residents and only one award can be made per household.
If you have any queries regarding the application process, please do not hesitate to contact [email protected] or on the Carer’s Gateway telephone number of 02921 921024.
A little about us:
- Our wellbeing team help carers to understand what support is available for carers across the region, support to access local services, identify new services that are needed, raise awareness of who carers are and the issues they may face, as well as provide training and development opportunities for carers.
- Our Carers Expert Panel listen to and share ideas, opinions, and first-hand experiences of unpaid carers. The role of a panel member is voluntary and unpaid, but it is an opportunity have a say and shape services in Cardiff and The Vale.
- Our free counselling service covers both the Vale of Glamorgan and Cardiff. Our counselling service within the Vale supports unpaid carers aged 18 and above who are caring for a family member or relative with late life dementia or mental health issues. Our service across Cardiff is open to all counselling referrals for unpaid carers aged 18 and above. We currently offer up to 10 free sessions of counselling via the telephone, virtually and/or face to face.
If Carers need any information advice or assistance, we at The Care Collective are able to provide this service.