We provide and arrange care services for adults who need support, care or protection, including people leaving hospital and carers in difficult situations. We may provide any of the following to help you live more independently:

  • information and advice
  • supported activities in day centres and other community settings
  • support to enable you to access training or employment
  • short breaks for carers
  • home adaptations or special equipment to help people with an illness or disability with their everyday activities
  • communication equipment to monitor your safety and enable you to call for help or provide you with supported accommodation or residential or nursing home care.
  • personal care and support provided in your home

If you are an adult with social care needs that might affect your health, safety or independence, you may need extra support. We have a duty to assess your needs and ensure they are met in a way that best suits you.

For services provided at home – you will have to pay some of the cost of your care if your savings or capital (excluding the value of your house) is above a certain amount. There will be a cap on how much you will be charged weekly.

Some people prefer to make their own arrangements. If we are funding your services, the Direct Payments Scheme allows you to do this and pay your care staff yourself while we oversee that money is properly used.

For services in a care home – if your savings or capital (excluding the value of your house) is:

  • above a certain amount, you will have to pay the cost of your care, with a cap on how much you will be charged weekly.
  • below that capital limit, and your only income is the state pension (plus guarantee credit if applicable), then you will be left with a personal allowance

Your Social Worker or Visiting Officer will tell you the capital limits current maximum charge per week.


For information about well-being in Wales, please go to Dewis Cymru, the site has information that can help you think about what matters to you, along with information about local organisations and services that can help.

This includes details of domiciliary providers and residential / nursing homes


To contact us to discuss your situation please ring

For the City of Cardiff contact:
Telephone: 029 2023 4234

For the Vale of Glamorgan contact:
Telephone: 01446 700111

Last Updated: September 2, 2022
If any data is incorrect, please contact us to report it.
Download as PDF
Skip to content