Care Inspectorate Wales (CIW)
We are the independent regulator of social care and childcare in
We register, inspect and take action to improve the quality and
safety of services for the well-being of the people of Wales.
- We carry out functions on behalf of Welsh Ministers to provide assurance on the quality and safety of services
- We decide who can provide services
- We inspect and drive improvement of regulated services and
local authority social services.
- We take action to ensure services meet legislative and
- We respond to concerns raised about social care and childcare services
We regulate the following services:
- Adult services: care homes for adults, domicilliary support services, adult placement services and residential family centre services.
- Children’s services: care homes for children, fostering services, adoption services, advocacy services and secure accommodation services
- Childcare and play services: child minders, creches, full day care, sessional day care, out of school care and open access play provision
We also review the performance of local authorities in delivery of social services functions. We carry this out through a combination of inspection and performance evaluation activity. In addition, we inspect:
- local authority fostering and adoption services
- boarding schools
- residential special schools [boarding arrangements under 295 days]
- further education colleges accommodating students under 18
Telephone: 0300 7900 126
E-mail: [email protected]
Fax: 0872 437 7301
Care Inspectorate Wales
Welsh Government office
Twitter – @Care_wales
Facebook – Care Inspectorate
If any data is incorrect, please contact us to report it.