assessments and all the information and advice we provide you afterwards is
completely free.  The cost of any services you receive depends on your
specific financial situation and the service provided.

You do not have to pay for any services provided by the NHS. If you need
nursing care, NHS nurses can come to your home or care home. If you need to
move to a care home that provides nursing care, then the NHS will pay a fixed
amount for the nursing part of the home’s fees.

You might also be eligible for Continuing NHS
Health Care. In this case, your services  would be fully covered by the
NHS and you would  receive it in an NHS building or a care home with

If you decide to receive it at home, NHS would
cover your nursing services, but not general support costs.

Services provided at home

The cost of
services delivered in your own home will depend on many things.

Generally, you will have to pay some of the cost of your care if your savings
or capital (excluding the value of your house) is above a certain amount. There
will be a cap on how much you will be charged weekly.

Your Social Worker or Visiting Officer will tell you the capital limit amount
and current maximum charge per week.

Care homes

If the
service is a care home with or without nursing, then you will have to pay
something towards it, unless you have aftercare under Section 117 of the Mental
Health Act 1983.

Generally, if your savings or capital (excluding
the value of your house) is:

  • above a certain amount, you will have to pay the
    cost of your care, with a cap on how much you will be charged weekly
  • below that capital limit, and your only income is
    the state pension (plus guarantee credit if applicable), then you will be left
    with a personal allowance

Your Social Worker or Visiting Officer will  tell you  the capital
limit amount  and  current maximum charge per week

Some people prefer to make their own arrangements.

If we are funding your services, the Direct Payments Scheme allows
you to do this and pay your care staff yourself while we oversee that money is
properly used.

Details about this would also be included in your
care and support plan.

Financial Assessments

Our Financial Assessment Officers, who are also
Welfare Benefits Advisors, will invite you to carry out a Financial Assessment
of your individual circumstances. They work to provide specialist information
and support to identified social services clients. 


Vale of Glamorgan

Financial Assessment Officers/Benefits
01446 704890 or 704747 or 704706

OneVale (C1V):
01446 700111, email: [email protected]


Connect to Cardiff
029 2087 2087 or through the website www.cardiff.gov.uk/ENG/Home/Contact-us/General-enquiries

Last Updated: March 1, 2017
If any data is incorrect, please contact us to report it.
Download as PDF
Skip to content