This section has information on the following:
Attendance Allowance

Carers Allowance

Council Tax Exemptions and Discounts

Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

Housing Benefit

Blue Badge Scheme

Income Support

Attendance Allowance

You can get Attendance Allowance if you’re 65 or over and the following apply:

  • you have a physical disability (including sensory disability, eg blindness), a mental disability (including learning difficulties), or both
  • your disability is severe enough for you to need help caring for yourself or someone to supervise you, for your own or someone else’s safety

It’s paid at 2 different rates and how much you get depends on the level of care that you need because of your disability.

The other benefits you get can increase if you get Attendance Allowance.

Use form AA1 to apply for Attendance Allowance by post. The form comes with notes telling you how to fill it in and where to send it.

You can get a copy of the form from the Attendance Allowance helpline.

Attendance Allowance helpline

Telephone: 0345 605 6055
Textphone: 0345 604 5312

Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm 

For more information also see www.gov.uk/attendance-allowance

Carers Allowance

You could get Carers Allowance if you care for someone at least 35 hours a week and they get certain benefits.

You don’t have to be related to, or live with, the person you care for. You won’t be paid extra if you care for more than one person.

To get information on Carer’s Allowance and how to make a claim:
General enquiries [email protected]

Telephone: 0345 608 4321
Textphone: 0345 604 5312

Monday to Thursday, 8:30am to 5pm, Friday, 8:30am to 4:30pm

Carers Allowance Unit
Mail Handling Site A
WV98 2AB 

For more information visit www.gov.uk/carers-allowance

Council Tax exemptions and discounts

Council Tax is a tax on property, but also takes into consideration the people who live there. Some properties can be exempt, for example if the resident is in hospital or residential care, or where a carer has gone to a relative’s home to care for them. There are also certain discounts. People living alone can claim a discount and so can people living with people who are ‘discounted’. This list includes people who are ‘severely mentally impaired’ (this can include people suffering from dementia), and carers looking after anyone other than their husband/wife or child under 18. There are also reductions for homes occupied by a disabled person where alterations have been made to the property to make it more suitable.

How to claim:
By letter to your local Council

If you are on a low income you may be able to get help from the Council Tax Reduction Scheme.

Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) is replacing Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for people with a long-term health condition or disability aged 16 to 64.

It helps with some of the extra costs caused by long-term ill-health or a disability if you’re aged 16 to 64.

The rate depends on how your condition affects you, not the condition itself.

You’ll need an assessment to work out the level of help you get. Your rate will be regularly reassessed to make sure you’re getting the right support.

DWP – Personal Independence Payment claims

Telephone: 0800 917 2222
Textphone: 0800 917 7777

Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm

For more information visit www.gov.uk/pip

Housing Benefit

You could get Housing Benefit to help you pay your rent if you’re on a low income.

Housing Benefit can pay for part or all of your rent. How much you get depends on your income and circumstances.

You can apply for Housing Benefit whether you’re unemployed or working.

If you claim the following benefits:

  • Employment and Support Allowance
  • Income Support
  • Jobseeker’s Allowance

Contact Jobcentre Plus who will send details of your claim for Housing Benefit to your council.

Jobcentre Plus

Telephone: 0800 055 6688

Textphone: 0800 023 4888
Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm

If you’re claiming pension credit contact the Pension Service to claim Housing Benefit with your claim for Pension Credit.
The Pension Service will send details of your claims for Housing Benefit to your council.

Pension Service
Telephone: 0800 99 1234
Textphone: 0800 169 0133

Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm

For more information visit www.gov.uk/housing-benefit

Blue Badge Scheme

Receiving the higher rate mobility component of DLA or the mobility component of PIP qualifies people for this scheme which extends your car parking rights. You can also apply for a Blue Badge if you are registered blind or receive a War Pensioner’s Mobility Supplement. However, carers should note that technically the car should then only be used “by or for the purposes of the disabled person.”

How to claim :

For information contact Cardiff City Council on 029 2087 3232 or Vale of Glamorgan Council on 01446 700111

Income Support

You may also be eligible for Income Support. Visit www.gov.uk/income-support for more information or contact:

Jobcentre Plus – new claims
Telephone: 0800 055 6688
Textphone: 0800 023 4888

Welsh language: 0800 012 1888
Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm 

Last Updated: February 1, 2017
If any data is incorrect, please contact us to report it.
Download as PDF
Skip to content